Saturday, April 14, 2018

Friday the 13th April 2018

Without intention plans were made for moving Orion on Friday the 13th. Attention was on planning, preparing, and weather instead of the date. Orion was hauled out and set on jack stands in the boatyard where I sanded and painted Orion's underside over a period of about 5 days.

Haul Out at Westland Marina
Ready to Start Work

Orion in the Boatyard at Westland Marina
Ready to Anti-foul the Prop
Bottom with New Anti-fouling
Westland Marina before departure
Plans were made to leave on the 7th of April, but things didn't work out. Next plans kept changing due to outside circumstances or weather changes.

Finally things came together for leaving on a Friday. Thursday we made things as ready as we could think of. Friday morning we left the dock about 8:00 AM.
Mooring Field at Titusville Marina

In the channel from Westland Marina and Titusville City
 Marina at about 8:00 AM

Haulover Canal Approach from South
We had favorable winds almost the whole way (ESE) and arrived in New Smyrna Beach just before low tide. This gave us an extra burst of speed the closer we got to the inlet. Only a 15 minute wait at the drawbridge.
Sailing on ICW North of the Haulover Canal 
Passing under N. Causeway
at New Smyrna Beach
Originally, we had planned for a slower trip with an overnight stop in New Smyrna Beach, but upon arriving so close to the change in tide we elected to continue. Overall, it ended up to be a nine hour, 48 nautical mile  trip. We averaged 5.3 knots, and sailed straight into the new slip a day ahead of time.
Orion at Halifax Harbor

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Back In the Salty

Well, it has been quite some time since the last post. It took some doing, but Orion is splashed. Unfortunately, it was necessary to spend some time on the packing gland and the muffler. The last install of the exhaust system left the muffler above the packing gland and causing wear on an engine transmission nut and the hull. Hopefully, this has been remedied. The stuffing box has been repacked and adjusted. It is now accessible for future tweaking.



Monday, March 7, 2016

Coaming Project Part 2

On March 5, 2016, final attachment of both new boards was completed on the cockpit coaming. Not everything is completed, but they are strong and weather resistant. Here are some photos:

Preparations for deck painting will hopefully take place soon.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Coaming Project Part 1

With the help of a neighbor and friend I was finally able to start the project of replacing the cockpit coamings. The boards deteriorated at an accelerated rate when I mistakenly sealed along the bottom of the boards a couple of years back. That only caused the moisture to build up below where water was getting behind them. 
Rotten Cockpit Coamings
Having a friend along on the project made it easier to delve right in and tear out the old coamings. King Starboard polymer the same thickness as the wooden ones had already been ordered and cut, but not installed. One of my concerns before starting the replacement was that they might be structural in some way. That might have made the Starboard a bad choice. Fortunately, that was not the case. The area behind the boards was real rough on the port side, so some filling and smoothing was done by my friend after I did some removal of old rot.

The Starboard may not be as pretty as wood, but it doesn't rot. As it turns out, when fasten into place it seems every bit as strong as the wooden ones.

Monday, February 1, 2016

About Time!

It is about time I made some progress! 

The hardware is back on the boat.

The mast is back up.

It looks like I need to rewrite Orion history on the website as it pertains to Irwin 10/4 history. Here is a link to a Good Old Boat article that explains it.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Hull All Dressed Up

The hull is finally cured and looking great. Now to get her name back on the stern, the mast up, and the deck painted.






Saturday, January 31, 2015

Unusual and Fortunate

Orion's hull has been waiting for additional prepping and then painting. Work has been started again in earnest. Seems that I was waiting on the the painter and the painter was waiting on me, so progress was nearly non-existent. Fortunately, we are back on track and it gave us extra time to save up some funds. Here are some photos of progress from the boatyard: